Monday, January 21, 2013
Celebrating Black History
I know you've all seen it... they Black History Month commercials have started on BET. The Black community is getting ready to "celebrate" Black History Month. I'm not exactly sure I understand the concept of Black History Month.. we give the creme de la creme of the Black community praise and shine for 28 days and then back to forgetting their existence for the rest of the year.
I recently watched a clip of Monrgan Freeman on 60 Seconds.. topic: Black History Month
I must say I agree...
Why limit the achievements, celebrations, education and reflection of the Black American History to the shortest month of the year when it is a big part of American History? Where is White History Month? Jewish? Mexican? Spanish? Russian? Spanish... see where I'm going? Can you imagine White History Month - a celebration of achievements of White Americans?
They call this country the melting pot, made up of cultures from around the world. They have assimilated and bubbled up into a new American version of the original. Where are their history month celebrations? Take the 2 or 3 train uptown to 125th Street and you see a celebration of African American history 24/7 - 365. From black owned businesses, the Apollo, to Magic Johnson Theater, and Harlem Children Zone.
To be fair, I love that every February there is an interesting and informative show or documentary on prime time TV. I love that the world around me is more aware of the Black Community in a positive light but why wait a year for everyone else to research their history - because as an American, Black History is your history whether you are of color or not.
So this month when you celebrate Black History Month keep in mind that it is American History and you can still celebrate after the 28th.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment