I spent most of my adolescent and adult life thinking that marriage was when you found the one. The one was you best friend, lover, confidant, motivator and supporter. They would share your friends and family. You both would build towards the same goals together as a family and a team.
This would b the person you talk to about your problems and not hold your tongue. You would work on your issues together and move past them instead of blaming one another for the past. In general the past is the past. There may be things that happened years ago that hurt but the more time you spend dwelling on it will hinder your happiness and any goals you have for prosperous future. Think about it... Did you even bomb a spelling test in grade school? If you did, I'm sure you don't let that one failure hold you back. If anything when it crosses your mind it motivates you to work hard or you can smile at the tantrum you threw all those years ago and can appreciate how much you've grown since then.
Your spouse should be someone you want to spend time with. Someone you tell everyday that you love them. YOLO. Tomorrow is not promised today so showing your love and appreciation should be on the top of your list of priorities.
I don't have a strong marriage role model but I have the best role model in love. My parent divorced when I was young but til this very day my father will say that my mother is the love of his life. He thinks about her in most things that he does and isn't afraid to show it. Even though she has hurt him unbelievably on so many different occasions he truly loves her. If my mother could put aside her pride I think they could grow old together and happy.
Their relationship has taught me how important trust, love, honesty and maturity is to any relationship. I have aunts and uncles who I perceive to have a beautiful marriage. They do their own thing in the day and in the evening it's all about each other. They cherish their moments of quality alone time. They thank each other for little things. They show their love to everyone who is around. It's like a silent cry to the world that 'I love my wife/husband and I'm proud of it'.
That's the type of love I thought was involved in a marriage. I mean it is forever right?

No comments:
Post a Comment